Here’s an intriguing call for submissions for the Abraham Lincoln “Better Angels” Issue:
Quiddity international literary journal and public-radio program are pleased to announce a call for submissions for a special issue devoted to the literary essence of Abraham Lincoln. Quiddity is seeking submissions of original creative work (poetry, prose, and artwork) inspired by the life, work, and works of Lincoln.
“Better Angels,” the Fall/Winter 2008-09 issue, will publish the best creative work inspired by the quiddity of Lincoln as president, statesman, politician, poet; by the essence of Lincoln’s life; and by his essence as crafter of language. Quiddity is looking for creative work that stirs the marrow in our bone-centers and is devoted also to the eloquent writing and exquisite essence of a man rough-hewn.
Like Shakespeare, whom the sixteenth president greatly admired, Lincoln shaped language to fit his thought as opposed to forcing his thought to fit language’s conventional mold. The term quiddity denotes, by OED definition, “the real nature or essence of a thing; that which makes a thing what it is.”
Quiddity will publish and broadcast exceptional works of poetry and prose, paying tribute to Lincoln’s quintessence via an issue devoted to original, contemporary work both inspired by Lincoln’s essence and that seeks to capture it in creative work. Individuals whose work is selected for publication may be invited to read their work aloud for Quiddity’s companion public-radio program on WUIS/WIPA, NPR member and PRI affiliate.
● Prose: one work (no more than 5,000 words)—Please note that we are NOT seeking essays. Poetry: up to five poems (no more than ten pages total) Artwork: up to five images—Query first with hardcopy images of the work(s) before sending digital images.
● Include complete contact information in the cover letter; bios are appreciated.
● Please be sure your name is listed on each page of the work. You may list contact information on each page as well, if you wish.
● U.S. submissions should include both an email address and a self-addressed, business-size (#10), stamped envelope.
● International submissions should include an email address to which an electronic reply may be sent.
● Work must be previously unpublished. All manuscripts will be recycled.
Please ensure that your submission fits the guidelines listed above. Submissions should be addressed to:
LINCOLN/BETTER ANGELS Issue
Springfield College-Benedictine University
1500 North Fifth Street
Springfield , IL 62702
Submissions will be accepted from April 8th through August 8th, 2008 (postmark deadline). Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but we require notification immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere. For more info, please go to the website.
(If you’re interested, I posted about The Gettysburg Address here.)