Josh Korenblat, one of my former writing students at Johns Hopkins, is one of the co-founders of /One/, a new online literary journal that looks fabulous with work by Adrienne Rich,
David Sacks, Laila Lalami, and others.
He writes: “I co-founded this journal with my friends, and our original idea was how creative people affect or relate to their community, and we focused on work that reflected that theme (so basically, the opposite of art for art's sake.) We've broadened the idea to the theme of how through art, we celebrate what is human in us all.”
About the journal: /One/ is a quarterly journal of literature, art and ideas that celebrates the human in us all. In every issue, /One/ will feature one item for each of its departments—an essay, a poem, a short story, a photograph or photo essay, an audio/multimedia presentation and an interview. The editors will publish both established and emerging artists and writers whose work fits the scope of the magazine.
Noting that the journal will publish established and emerging writers, he passes along these submission guidelines:
/One/ accepts original, unpublished written work. Simultaneous submissions are accepted but please let us know as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere. Submissions are only accepted via email and should be directed to: email@example.com. In the email subject line, please write the department for which you’re submitting work to followed by your last name (eg. Fiction: Doe or Photography: Doe).
* Fiction: We have no minimum word-count but ask that stories don’t run longer than 3,000 words.
* Essays: We ask that essays don’t run longer than 5,000 words.
* Poetry: You can send up to five poems of any length or style.
* Interviews: For this section, please send us your idea in a short pitch first.
* Photos/Art: Please send low-res files with a brief description of the work for consideration. If the work is accepted, we can make arrangements to receive higher quality files. When submitting photographs, please provide the files as 72 dpi jpgs, 800 pixels on the longest side, sRGB, Quality 10.
* Audio/Video: Please send a short description of your work first. If we’re interested, we’ll make arrangements to receive the files.
* Illustrations: We will occasionally use illustrations pertaining to text. Please send your work and we will let you know if it’s a fit for an upcoming issue.
At this time /One/ cannot provide any compensation to its contributors. /One/ acquires first publication rights for written work (this does not apply to art, photographs or music and video). After publication, the rights revert to the contributors, at which point they are free to reprint their work on websites, books and anthologies or as they wish. The work of our contributors will be archived on One’s website. We respectfully ask for contributors to mention that the work was first published on /One/.
More information at the website.