I was tagged by writer Marty Rhodes Figley (whose too-funny blog is found at http://martyrhodesfigley.blogspot.com/), so here are seven random things about me:
1. I’m really great at packing a car for a road trip. I can fit any suitcase anywhere. This is genetic, as both my sister and father are also supremely skilled at packing a car. I bet my father could pack the contents of a house neatly into a Volkswagen.
2. I’m allergic to fresh pineapple—but not canned. Now you know how to kill me. (Actually, you don’t: now you know how to make my face immediately turn blotchy and itchy and my eyes swell almost shut.)
3. The first story I wrote (and, naturally, illustrated) on my own was titled “Seagull,” about two orphans traveling the world with some sort of magic dolls.
4. In eighth grade I was briefly in a school mime troupe, and there may still exist a photograph of me looking dorky in full mime whiteface.
5. I bought a first edition copy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in a secondhand bookstore for a couple bucks.
6. Once, at an all-you-can-eat salad buffet, I ate 50 shrimp. Then I had a steak. And dessert. This was after an all-day hike in the desert mountains, but still.
7. I had a secret crush on Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys.